What Fun It Is To Sing During The Holidays!
The feature event of the night was the awarding of the 2008 Larry Neal Memorial Award, also known as the Barbershopper of the Year (BOTY) Award. Last year's winner, Jerry Mason, announced the winner of the award to be Kirk Roose, director of the Derbytown Chorus. Congratulations, Kirk and thank you for all your work on behalf of our Chapter, our District and our Society. (Note: Kirk could not be at the dinner. The bulletin will include a picture of Kirk and his award in a later issue.)
The 2009 Board members were also officially installed during the meeting. Congratulations to all new and returning members of the Board and good wishes for a successful year. Special congratulations to Wil Veith, our 2009 President. Also, a large thank you to Ray Stone for his multiple-year tenure as President.
The evening concluded with singing by the chorus and chapter quartets. A very appropriate finish to a great event.
Ten Ways To Help Your Chapter
(11-20 of the total list of 100)
11. Take your camera to chorus functions, and turn in the pictures to your history book/scrapbook person.
12. Subscribe to the "Harmonet," print out hints & suggestions that look applicable to your chorus and pass them on.
13. Talk to two or three people (before, during break or after rehearsal) that you normally don't talk to.
14. When you are at social gatherings, quartet performances, etc., always talk about your chapter; you never know where your next guest might be.
15. Surprise an ill member with a card or a phone call. Call an absent member, and let them know you missed them.
16. Offer to clean the chapter's storage facility or update the inventory.
17. Keep your comments to yourself concerning choreography and costumes, especially when on the risers.
18. Learn your part (words, notes, choreography, stage presentation) early so you can help the slow learners & new people.
19. Offer to carpool with others when possible.
20. Learn to use a pitch-pipe, and then memorize the keys to songs in the chorus repertoire.
Ed Crosley 12/27
Jim Elliott 1/11
Jim Wolfe 1/11
Friday, November 28- John S. Knight Center, Akron, entertaining at the Annual Akron Children's Hospital Christmas Tree Festival
Saturday, November 29- Barberton Holiday Kick-Off for the Salvation Army. Sang a few songs at the gazebo on the shores of Lake Anna; did a 30 minute show for about 250 people at the Magic Theater in downtown Barberton; finished the evening by singing at the Red Kettle near the Salvation Army headquarters.
Friday, December 12- sang at a luncheon for Hudson city employees at the American Legion Hall in Hudson.
Friday, December 19- did a 30 minute show for employees of The Crystal Clinic (about 350 people) at Guy's Party Center, Akron.
Editor: Barry Tone
For all those who enjoy singing, this time of year is especially full of joy. All of us on the bulletin staff want to wish all Derbytown barbershoppers and friends of the chorus a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. The next bulletin issue will be on Monday, January 12 and will originate from North Fort Myers, Florida. Information and pictures that you would like to have included in future bulletin issues can still be sent to the bulletin email address, firstname.lastname@example.org